CBD oil has been gaining popularity over the last few years, and for a good reason. It is an incredible substance that can be used to help with a variety of ailments.
What many people don’t know, however, is that this oil can be made at home. There are a number of ways how to make CBD oil on your own at home. Knowing the proper steps in making CBD oil will offer you a lot of advantages, especially if you regularly use CBD products.
Uses of CBD Oil
Before learning how to make CBD oil, let’s first discuss the many benefits of CBD.
- Relieve pain — It has been known to help with conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, and treatment-resistant chronic pain.
- Improve mental health — It is especially helpful for those suffering from anxiety, stress, depression, or bipolar disorder. CBD can also be used to treat schizophrenia and post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD.
- Relieve cancer — There have even been studies done showing that CBD oil can be used to help fight cancerous tumors.
- Improve heart health — Researchers believe it may also help prevent the hardening of arteries and blood clots, which are two major causes of heart disease.
- Decrease swelling and inflammation — CBD has also been shown to help with conditions caused by inflammation, such as rheumatic arthritis and acne.
- Reduce seizures — Those who suffer from epilepsy have found this oil to be beneficial in stopping or slowing down seizure frequency and intensity.
- Control stress and anxiety levels — It can also help reduce stress and anxiety in general.
- Improve sleep quality — CBD can help you get better sleep, which is important for your overall health.
Related post: Best CBD Oil for Migraines
How to Make CBD Oil On Your Own
How make CBD oil at home is possible. You already have most of the things you’ll need. However, there are important steps to follow, so you can learn how to make CBD oil safely.
What Do You Need to Make Homemade CBD Oil?
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Coffee filter
- Double boiler
- Glass bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Mason jar
- High-proof alcohol
- Carrier oil
Steps on How to Make CBD Oil Using Alcohol Extraction Method
One of the methods on how to make CBD oil at home involves the use of high-proof alcohol. To make your own oil, you just have to follow these steps:
- Grind up your hemp flower, leaves, and plant matter using a grinder. Make sure the pieces are even.
- Line your baking tray with baking paper and spread the ground hemp over it.
- Place the baking tray inside the preheated oven (235 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Decarboxylate the ground hemp flower by baking it in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Place the decarboxylated hemp in a glass mixing bowl together with strong alcohol, just enough to cover the ground plant materials.
- Leave it for five to ten minutes. You can help speed up the process by stirring it using a wooden spoon. The longer the mixture sits, the more potent it becomes.
- Strain the mixture. Be sure to use a cheesecloth so the liquid can freely fall into the mixing bowl.
- If the liquid is light green in color, this means that it still has terpenes.
- You may have to repeat straining the mixture until the liquid that comes out is clearer in color.
- You can now set up the double boiler to remove the alcohol through the process of evaporation.
- Place your alcohol mixture in the top pan of the double boiler. The bottom pan should have water.
- Heat the mixture using low heat and let it simmer gently. Do not heat the mixture too much, and make sure the temperature doesn’t go above 300 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid burning the cannabinoids.
- Stir constantly. You will know that the process is done when you get a thick and gloopy oil extract and the mixture stops bubbling.
- Let it cool and store in a mason jar.
- Keep in a cool, dry, and dark place.
Steps on How to Make CBD Oil Using Carrier Oil
Another method on how to make CBD oil is by using a carrier oil. You can use different oils such as coconut oil, MCT oil, hemp seed oil, olive oil, or other oils of your choice. Follow these steps:
- Repeat steps one to four above.
- Place your decarboxylated plant material into the top pan of your double boiler. Cover with just enough of your preferred carrier oil.
- Allow the water at the bottom layer of the double boiler to simmer.
- The top pan containing the plant material and oil should be maintained at a temperature of 300 degrees Fahrenheit. This prevents burning the terpenes and cannabinoids off.
- This process should take about two to three hours. You will know that it’s done when you notice the CBD oil turns green-brown in color.
- Let it cool. Strain the material using a cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
- Store in glass or mason jars with a lid.
- Keep it out of reach of children and away from direct heat and sunlight.
Steps to Make CBD Oil Using the Cold Press Method
A third method on how to make CBD oil at home is by using the cold press method. This DIY oil method is simple and more natural as it does not make use of chemicals. To get started, you just need to:
- Put your hemp flower, leaves, and other plant material into the cold press and apply pressure.
- Once your hemp becomes more paste-like, you can then mix the material so its essential oils can spread out.
- You get the finished oil by applying pressure again to the mixture. This will draw out its essential oils.
These are just three easy and simple methods for making CBD oil on your own.
Related post: What Does CBD Oil Taste Like?
Benefits of Knowing How to Make CBD Oil at Home
Learning how to make CBD oil at home offers a lot of advantages, such as:
Knowing how to make homemade CBD is much cheaper compared to buying it from a store. You can save money by buying expensive brands.
Know What You are Using
Making your own CBD oil allows you to choose the type of hemp strain you’ll use. Not only that but making your own DIY CBD oil also assures you that you know what’s going into your CBD oil.
Offers All the Health Benefits
Homemade CBD oil also offers the same health benefits as store-bought ones. It can help with many health problems, from pain to sleeplessness.
Related post: Can CBD Help With Vertigo?
Always Have CBD Oil on Hand
You can always have CBD oil on hand for you or your loved ones whenever needed. You’ll never run out of this beneficial oil.
Can Be Used in Many Ways
You can use your homemade CBD oil in many ways. You can place it under your tongue, add it to your dishes and drinks, and apply it to your skin.
Easy to Make
Homemade CBD oil is easy to make. You have the necessary tools at home. You just have to make sure you’re buying premium-grade hemp flower.
If you’re going to use alcohol, make sure you’re in a well-ventilated room since alcohol is flammable.
Related post: CBD Oil vs. Capsules
How to make CBD oil at home can offer a lot of benefits. You already have all the utensils and ingredients at home. Once you have learned the process, you get to enjoy homemade CBD oil and benefit from the many therapeutic effects of CBD oil.
If you want to know more about how CBD oil can help you, comment below!