An allergic reaction to CBD oil is characterized by some symptoms. It could be similar to the side effects that you can get from CBD oil. This is why it is important to know when a reaction is from an allergy to CBD. This is to help you know what to do to prevent it from worsening.
CBD oil is a natural remedy for many health problems, but if you are allergic to it, then the best thing to do is consult your doctor. This blog post discusses what can happen when you get an allergic reaction to CBD oil and how to treat it.
Allergic Reactions to CBD Oil
There are different types of allergic reactions to CBD that people can experience. One of the most common allergic reactions is a skin rash. But there are other reactions that you may notice when you take CBD. Among these are:
- Hives: these are red bumps that may be itchy and painful
- Swelling: This is when your face or hands swell up after taking CBD. You should see a doctor if this happens to you as the swelling could stop airflow in smaller airways like those of your lungs, causing an asthma attack.
- Runny nose: runny noses can occur even without taking CBD oil. However, this symptom can also be a sign of an allergy to the hemp plant.
- Wheezing: wheezing is when you have difficulty breathing due to constricted airways in your lungs.
- Coughing or sneezing fits are another possible allergic reaction from using CBD oil. You should not ignore these symptoms because they could indicate that something is wrong with your lungs. If you think that you might be experiencing an allergic reaction to CBD oil, then call your doctor right away and stop using it immediately.
When you experience any of these mentioned above, it is important to remove yourself from the source of CBD oil. If you are in a room with it, then leave that area immediately. Do not go back until you know that your symptoms have gone away or if they get worse, which could be a sign of anaphylaxis.
An allergic reaction can occur when any substance enters our body whether it is food, drugs, or plants like the hemp plant. But only a few of these substances cause an allergic reaction in some people. These are known as allergens. The most common allergen that causes allergies is pollen, which comes from trees, grasses, and weeds.
Related article: CBD and Zoloft Interactions
CBD Side Effects
If you are wondering what to do when you get an allergic reaction to CBD oil, the best thing is to know its side effects.
CBD or Cannabidiol is a chemical that comes from hemp plants. It has been proven effective in treating health problems like seizures, inflammation, and pain. But it can also cause certain side effects that are similar to the symptoms of allergies.
These side effects include:
- Itching or tingling sensation in your mouth, throat, and tongue
- Swelling of the lips, face, or tongue can cause difficulty breathing due to constricted airways in your lungs (anaphylaxis)
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea (this is rare with CBD oil)
If you experience any of these side effects after taking CBD, stop using it immediately and talk to a doctor. You may need to be checked for anaphylaxis. Make sure that you take only the recommended amount of dosage when taking CBD, especially if this is your first time trying it out. This can help prevent side effects and allergic reactions.
After you stop taking CBD oil for a while, your body will return to its normal functions. But if the symptoms persist, then you should see a doctor right away. Keep in mind that other factors like stress or any health condition can trigger an allergy attack even without using CBD oil.
What Should Be Done When You Have Allergic Reaction to CBD Oil
Generally, CBD oil is safe to use. But there are rare instances when it can cause allergic reactions in some people. It is important to know what to do when allergies appear. Here are what should be done when allergic reactions occur:
- Stop taking CBD oil immediately
- Call your doctor for help and advice
- Be prepared to answer questions about the symptoms you are experiencing, allergies history, and other medications that you take. Keep in mind that even if an allergic reaction happens when using CBD, it doesn’t mean that it is unsafe or ineffective as a medicine. There have been no reports of death from using CBD oil. What’s important is to stop taking it and look for professional help right away.
But if you want the best treatment, then you should go back to trying out CBD as soon as possible after your allergic reaction has cleared up. It may take time, but once the body adjusts itself to the chemical makeup of CBD, there won’t be any more allergic reactions.
Related article: CBD and Nicotine Interactions
How to Get Your CBD Allergy Diagnosed
An important thing to remember is your doctor can help you get diagnosed and treated for CBD allergy. If there’s an urgent need to see a professional, then go ahead and schedule an appointment right away. You may also be asked about other allergies or health conditions, especially if the allergic reaction happens on more than one occasion.
Also, bring a list of your medications and your medical history. This includes any allergies to food, medication, or other substances, along with their symptoms. But if it’s possible, don’t mention CBD oil as this may lead to more confusion on what caused the allergic reaction.
Remember also not to stop using CBD without consulting a doctor first. This may reduce the effectiveness of CBD as a medicine, and it could also lead to other health problems like pain, inflammation, or seizures.
If you are diagnosed with CBD allergy, then that is no reason not to try out this drug again in the future. It’s just important that you give your body time to adjust first before taking more doses.
Even if there are no scientific studies that can prove how CBD oil causes allergic reactions, it is still best to be cautious with its use. This way, you won’t have any more unpleasant experiences after using the drug.
An allergic reaction to CBD oil is not a pleasant situation to be in. But if you know what to do and how to cope with it, then the experience will be much easier. Learning more about CBD allergy can help you survive and become well again. Keep in mind that though CBD is safe to use, there are still a few people who might experience allergic reactions to it.